Tips for Saving Money While Using Air Conditioning in Calgary
How to Save Money While Running Your AC Unit
Lower your energy costs even while using your air conditioner by:
- Closing Drapes and Blinds - The more sunlight you allow into your home, the hotter it will be by the afternoon. Use heat-reflective window treatments (especially on the sides of your home exposed to afternoon sun) to help keep the heat out and your AC unit from turning on all day.
- Attic Insulation - If you keep the heat from penetrating the attic and entering your home, your AC unit will not have to run all day and night continuously.
- Attic Fans - An attic fan will circulate the air in the attic and not only help keep energy costs down, but it could help your rooftop’s lifespan too.
- Fan-Only Mode - Use your AC unit’s fan mode. This will turn off the compressor and offer ventilation.
- Use Ceiling Fans - If your home has ceiling fans, turn them on throughout the day and only kick on the AC when absolutely necessary. Energy-wise, ceiling fans use much less electricity than air conditioning in Calgary.
- Seal Your Ducts - When ducts are not sealed, air escapes, making your AC unit work twice as hard to get cool air into your home. Seal your ductwork for gaps, and then also check your home for gaps around the doors and windows. Every spring, you should re-caulk the windows for a better seal.
- Filter - A dirty filter in your furnace forces your system to work harder; thus, costing more. Change your AC filter regularly.
- Tune-Up - You should have a tune-up before summer and then again in the fall to ensure your unit is operating at its peak.
You can still enjoy your air conditioning unit while saving money. If you notice your bills continue to rise even while employing these techniques, you may be due for an upgrade. Most air conditioning units are designed to last 15 to 20 years, and the older the unit, the less energy-efficient it is. Just In Time Furnace in Calgary, Alberta can help you find a more energy-efficient model so you can stay cool and keep costs reasonable.