Time for a Furnace Tune-Up
Autumn is here with the changing colour of tree leaves that mark the changing of the seasons. It’s also a good reminder that it’s time for your annual fall furnace tune-up. When it comes to furnaces, an ounce of prevention truly is worth a pound of cure.
There are a number of items that you can do yourself, like replacing the filter, dusting, and clearing debris around any outside components like your air conditioner. However, if you are standing in front of your furnace preparing to change the filter and you notice any of the following five symptoms, it’s time to call in the furnace cleaners at Just In Time Furnace Inc.
- Short cycling is when your furnace runs for only short periods (less than three minutes) before shutting off. This happens when the thermostat is out of adjustment or when the heat exchanger overheats and the burner automatically shuts off to prevent damage.
- Properly functioning burners have fairly even rows of flames. If the flames are irregular, uneven, or lean toward the back of the furnace, call in a pro. It could be a sign of dirty burners or a cracked heat exchanger.
- Odd noises or rumbling shouldn’t be present if you have forced-air heat.
- Frequent headaches or flu-like symptoms can be a sign of combustion gases leaking from a cracked heat exchanger or carbon monoxide leaking from an exhaust stack. With these chronic illness symptoms, have your heating system checked out even if your carbon monoxide alarm remains silent.
- Soot is a fine black powder that collects when combustion is incomplete. The presence of soot deposits may indicate that your burners need adjusting or that you have a cracked heat exchanger that needs replacing.
Dirt is the top cause of furnace problems. Your furnace motor and blower need regular cleaning to stay functional, along with routine replacement of the furnace filter. Other elements that may cause furnace repairs in Calgary include a faulty pilot light, clogged gas valves or burner issues, problems with the thermocouple or limit switch, electrical problems, problems with the thermostat, and gas leaks (LEAVE THE PREMISES IMMEDIATELY if you smell gas, and call the gas company and/or fire department).
Furnace Tune-Up & Cleaning in Calgary
In order to get the best life and efficiency out of your heating system, Just in Time Furnace Inc suggest regular tune-ups, in conjunction with regular cleaning to extend the life of your system, while minimizing the risk of costly repair bills in the future. If you have concerns about your furnace, need a tune-up, or your air ducts are clogged with dust and grime, get the best indoor air quality service on the market with Just in Time Furnace Inc. at 403-333-6666 in Calgary today.