How to Determine Whether Your Air Conditioning Should be Repaired or Replaced
All air conditioners require maintenance from time to time. As a general rule, you should have your AC system serviced annually, so we can identify potential issues and address them promptly. At Just In Time Furnace Inc., we always prefer to help you save money with preventative maintenance. We can often detect developing issues, and generally repair them early enough to prevent them from becoming big and expensive problems.
However, some repair jobs may not be worth your money and our effort. In such cases, you could find that replacing a unit makes more sense than repairing it. We are always happy to help you determine whether your air conditioning system needs to be repaired or replaced.
Repair or Replace It? How to Know
A variety of factors might affect your decision to have your air conditioner repaired or replaced. These are some of the details to consider when deciding which steps to take:
• It is too old to keep on repairing. If your air conditioner is more than 15 years old and it starts manifesting problems, it is probably time to get a new AC unit installed. The typical lifespan of an air conditioner is about 10 to 15 years. If you continue to need extensive repairs after that, you are only paying to postpone the inevitable. A newer, energy efficient model could actually save you money.
• Your energy bills are too high. Even if your air conditioner is not yet 10 years old, an inefficient unit could cost you too much money every month. By switching to a more efficient AC, you could significantly reduce the amount you pay to keep your home cool.
• The unit smells odd. This could simply be an indication that your AC unit needs maintenance. If you smell weird odours coming out of the air conditioning system, we might need to clean the coils or replace a filter. Unpleasant smells do not necessarily mean that your air conditioner must be replaced.
• The system is leaking. A leaking air conditioner might cause you to panic, especially if it leaks fluid on your furniture or other belongings. However, this may not be a reason to replace the unit. It could require a relatively easy fix for our team, such as emptying a drain pan, reconnecting a drain line, or replacing a dirty air filter.
• The repairs are too costly. Whether your system is old or the unit is not of high quality, you should not have to pay for expensive, ongoing repairs. When you buy a home, you might inherit a system that is not worth keeping. If your repair bill is consistently high, you may want to consider a new air conditioning unit.
Just In Time Furnace Inc. provides exceptional service to area residents. If your AC unit requires repairs, call our team as soon as possible. When we suspect that ongoing repairs will cost you more than you should pay, we could recommend replacing your air conditioner. In such cases, we can also help you select the right model for your home.
Your air conditioner should serve your household well. The professionals at Just In Time Furnace Inc. are qualified and experienced to provide air conditioning maintenance, repair, and installation for your Calgary home. Call us today at 403-333-6666, or use our online contact form for a free quote.