Hot Water Heater Maintenance in Calgary
Consistent temperature, pressure and flow, or leaks from your hot water tank - there are a number of common concerns to troubleshoot, but if your water heater is more than 10 years old, it’s probably time for replacement. At Just in Time Furnace in Calgary, we carry a variety of tank and tankless hot water heater models from brands such as Navien, Rheem®, and Rinnai®. To help alleviate some of those concerns, we’ve pulled together a few tips to troubleshoot your gas or electric water heater issues and learn how long a water heater should last.
First, if you’re worried or don’t know the age of your hot water tank, start by looking at and decoding data on the water heater’s label. Nearly all modern water heaters, whether they are electric, oil-fired, or gas-fired, include data tags and stickers that indicate the year and month of manufacture of the water heater. However, it doesn’t tell you how long it was stored before it was installed in a particular building but it does indicate the age of the water heater itself.
When the water isn’t as hot as you want it to be, it can be caused by a faulty thermostat or a defective heating element. Check the following:
- Electric water heater: Make sure that the power is connected. Reset and/or raise the temperature setting on the thermostat.
- Gas water heater: Make sure that the gas is connected and the pilot light is lit. Reset and/or raise the temperature setting on the thermostat.
Regular maintenance will extend the life of your water heater:
- Drain the water heater twice a year to rid it of collected sediment that causes corrosion.
- Test the pressure-relief valve by lifting the valve’s handle and letting it snap back. This should release a burst of water into the overflow drainpipe. If it doesn’t, install a new valve.
- Lower the temperature setting on the thermostat to 120 degrees Fahrenheit to reduce damage to the tank caused by overheating.
- Insulate the hot water pipes.
Replace Water Heater in Calgary
If you’re ready to replace your water heater, or want to learn more about the hot water heaters Just in Time Furnace in Calgary carries and the benefits they offer, call us at 403-333-6666 or email us at email@example.com, for your free quote today.