Better Home Air Flow
Signs that you’ve probably got leaky ducts include:
- Cold spots in your home while your furnace is running
- Dusty rooms after turning on your HVAC system
- Higher utility bills
Here are three simple solutions to improve your furnace’s airflow without needing to call a professional.
Unblock and clean your vents - vents are usually blocked by furniture or drapes, decreasing their ability to supply air to your room (costing you money and comfort). Clean the dust off the vents’ grills so that nothing impedes airflow (or spreads dust around your home for that matter).
Change your filters and clean your air return grill - a dirty air filter impedes air movement and increases your furnace workload. You should change your air filter whenever it is visibly dirty – usually every two months during peak times, check your filter manufacturers guidelines. Use a vacuum to clean the dust off the air return grill routinely.
Seal leaky ductwork - according to Energy Star, “About 20 percent of the air that moves through the duct system is lost due to leaks, holes, and poorly connected ducts. The result is higher utility bills and difficulty keeping the house comfortable, no matter how the thermostat is set.”
To seal your leaky ducts, follow these simple steps:
- Locate your air ducts (look in your attic, basement, or crawl space)Turn on your furnace.
- Feel along the sides of the air ducts so you can feel where hot air is escaping. Look for black marks, which are signs of leaks – usually connections at vents and registers where they meet the floor, walls and ceiling.
- Seal with mastic-type sealant, not ‘duct tape’, it’s not a long-term solution to sealing air ducts.
These tips will help to solve many airflow problems in your home. But if problems persist with your furnace and you need air duct cleaning in Calgary, it may be time to contact a professional for an accurate diagnosis.
Just In Time Furnace Inc understands that for those who suffer with extreme allergies, the brush system cleaning is a must. The Complete Brush System package for furnaces and ducts includes brush cleaning for 12 vents for only $179. For full details visit our Specials page at www.justintimefurnace.com/complete-brush-system-clean-for-furnaces-and-ducts.html. This is a great deal on a truly complete air cleaning for those who need it most.