Air Quality Testing in Calgary
VOCs are the chemicals that are emitted as gases from solids or liquids and easily evaporated into the air at room temperature and there are thousands of emitting products in homes across Canada. In fact, concentrations of these VOC chemicals can be up to 100 times higher indoors than outdoors. VOC producing products include a host of everyday products including building materials, solvents, pesticides, vehicle exhaust, tobacco smoke, upholstery, carpeting, and wallpaper to name a few. Common VOCs that can be particularly dangerous, and are emitted from a number of products in our homes, include formaldehyde, benzene, and phenol, and are classified as Hazardous Air Pollutants (HAPs) by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Knowing that VOCs are present in your home is the first step to cutting your exposure:
• Ventilate your home with fresh air by opening your windows as often as possible.
• Change or clean air filters from your air purifier, furnace or heater, vacuum, and air conditioner regularly.
• Set your home’s humidity level to an ideal 45 percent.
• Set a regular grooming schedule for your pets.
• Use natural with DIY air fresheners and avoid synthetic ones that emit damaging chemicals or hormone disruptors.
• Use a HEPA air purifier that doesn’t generate ozone and eliminates VOCs from furniture, paint, or cleaning materials.
• Add green, leafy plants to your home to help lessen VOCs and enhance the air quality of your home.
• Always purchase non-toxic adhesive, finishes, paints, and varnishes as much as possible.
Another, equally concerning hazard in the home or workplace is mold. Active mold growth in your home or business can cause health problems and damage to materials. To help prevent mold:
• Run a fan that’s vented to the outside when cooking or showering;
• Keep furniture away from exterior walls to allow air to circulate;
• Don’t store goods in cardboard boxes, use mold-resistant options like plastic bins;
• Don’t store firewood inside the home; and simply,
• Own less stuff.
Air Duct Cleaning Calgary
If you're concerned about indoor air quality, contact a professional for an air quality assessment report and prevention or mitigation suggestions. If you have questions about the air quality in your home or for any or all services your home or business HVAC needs, call Just in Time Furnace Inc at 403-333-6666 today for a free quote.